If you’re going to learn how to code, why not pick up one of the most versatile and powerful programming languages on the planet? Be introduced to basic computer science concepts with Python!
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- Class taught in English & conducted online via Zoom
- No experience necessary
- An introduction to basic computer science concepts
- Code like a real programmer with a text-based language!
- Create interesting games you can play with your friends and family
Unraveling the power of binary
You can pretty much code anything with Python, but let’s start off with the basics by learning about binary code and how it works. Take a stab at figuring out how to convert binary numbers into code and vice-versa.
Think of all the secret messages you’ll be able to send your siblings and friends with binary code…
You’ll also be building simple projects with your code. Like this calculator:
And you’ll be taking your first steps to writing your own code and doin’ some debugging.
Apply your knowledge of modules and coordinates to unleash turtle drawing mayhem! You’ll be able to create infinite geometrical shapes and code your turtle to become your very own tiny Picasso.
With the solid basic programming concepts you’ll learn from Python, you’ll be well-placed to pick up other programming languages in the future. So let your journey to programming awesomeness begin!
Your child will require:
- A computer or laptop with a working webcam and microphone, in order to participate in class and for our instructor to check their understanding. Kindly avoid sharing devices.
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- To create a Repl.it account before the first class – your child will be using this account for coding.
Please create an account here.
- Google Chrome as their default web browser during classes. You may download it here.
- Installing Zoom is recommended for a smoother learning experience. You may do so here.
(For macOS computers, please enable these permission settings)
- We also recommend that you have an adult member of your household standing by for the first 45 mins of the first class to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.